Ok – before I begin todays post, some news/updates:
- I am going to be out of the office for the next two weeks, so there may be a break in posts. My wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary – so we (and our family) are spending some family time together, in order to celebrate! I may try and post next Tuesday, but we shall see. If I can get some guest posters, then there may be more posts for you! (Hint hint – if you are reading this -and want to post something – now’s your chance!)
- What’s better than being a panelist at San Diego Comic-Con? Being a TWO TIME panelist at San Diego Comic Con. If you are going to be there, check us out on Friday, July 13th 8-9pm in Room 9. geekEd. 2 Bringing Geek Back to Higher Education (now with Data!). BTW – if any of you know Brent Spiner – tell him to contact me…we’d love to have him moderate.
Ok – without further ado – I give you Part 2 of the Summer movie list:
Last time I gave you a list of quality movies. Each one well crafted, with deep meaningful messages. Themes you can engage in. Well, in Res Life, we have our moments of serious education, but we also like to have fun. Again, I used to think “Grease” was a pre-requisite for being in Res Life. But these are movies that are cheesy. No Academy Award winners here. But these are also movies that have a message. Maybe it’s an “afterschool special” message, maybe it’s a “next on a very special episode of Walker, Texas Ranger” message, but the message is there, and the movie is entertaining, even if it’s entertainment value comes from his horrific cheese. Please feel free to add your cheesy movies with a message at the end below. PLEASE?
So here ya go – some movies for you to enjoy this summer:
- Sidekicks (Chuck Norris) – available on youtube
- This is a movie about “living your dream” and overcoming great odds. It is cheesy beyond cheesy, and a rip off of “Karate Kid.” It stars Chuck Norris, and he basically makes fun of himself and his movies. The ultimate theme though is that you can overcome obstacles in order to live your dream. GREAT movie.
- Son In Law (Pauly Shore)
- PaulyShoreplays a Resident Advisor. He goes home for thanksgiving with one of his residents. Hilarity ensues. Message involves being yourself.
- With Honors (Joe Pesci, Brendan Fraser)
- This is a little political as movies go, but the ultimate message is changing lives. This is more of a “dramedy.” I like it because it deals with the process being more important than the end result. Brendan Fraser’s character was supposed to graduate summa cum laude, but he doesn’t because he changes his thesis into something he believes in.
- School Daze (Spike Lee)
- More of a “musical/comedy/drama” it’s about fraternity and sorority students clashing with others who are not a part of the greek system. It is all about different ideas and ideologies clashing and learning where one’s self esteem and identity come from.
- Blankman (Damon Wayans)
- This 90s film is funny, basically uses the campy Batman TV show as a vehicle for the notion that one man CAN make a difference.
- The Goonies (Sean Astin – nephew of Alexander Astin)
- Again, a group of kids prove they can make a difference. Chunk went on to become an RA at UC Berkeley.
- The Last Starfighter (No one you know)
- One of the first CGI movies (along with TRON). By playing video games, a kid discovers one person can make a difference in the Universe. Actually – Wil Wheaton makes an appearance, which makes this movie and Wil Wheaton even cooler!
Enjoy, and we’ll see you on the other side!